Wednesday, February 6, 2013

First Doc appt set

Well, I've managed to make my first prenatal appt.  Since the doc wasn't even on my list I'm not sure if I will stick with her or not.  You wouldn't think trying to set up a first appt would be any cause for drama but as usual I must over complicate everything. 

First off, I wanted to use a midwife and do a home birth first or use a birthing center if a home birth was out.  Unfortunately, my new insurance doesn't cover any midwives (using a birthing center or not) or home births.  So my first and second option are both too financially straining for me to use.  They aren't expensive compared to hospital births but since my insurance will cover the majority of a hospital birth they are more expensive for me.  Which doesn't make sense to me.  You would think the insurance companies would jump at the chance to pay out less money.

My second choice is my last ob-gyn, but not only did I loose her contact info but when I searched I only came up with a number to an insurance office.  So my first three choices were off the menu.  So a quick provider check for the next doctor who is covered by my insurance and uses my preferred hospital.  Super nice receptionist and they had an opening but when she asked how I found her I mentioned I was looking for a doctor that used my preferred hospital and she nicely informed me they no longer use that hospital but the big name hospital down the freeway that I want to avoid like the plague.  Ironically they are in the medical building attached to my preferred hospital. 

I live close to three hospitals.  They are all within a 20 min drive of me but two of them are big name, have multiple locations and are very bad about doing c-sections and medication without a medical need for them.  I really do not want to use either one of those.  So that does limit who I can use because my preferred hospital is a small one.  It means they are more expensive overall but the reviews I've seen show they are nicer and less likely to do unneeded medical procedures.  Plus I've used the medical center attached to the hospital a few times and have had tests done there.  I like the feel of the hospital and everyone I had dealings with was friendly and professional.

So on to the next doctor.  I got this one from a recommendation of an online friend who used her doing her pregnancy and birth and the hospital I want to use.  The first number I got for her no longer works or at least didn't work when I tried it.  The second number turned out not to go to her practice at all but I didn't realize that until I made the appointment.  I'm not sure if I want to use this doctor or not.  I'm thinking I'll just go to my first appt with her and if I end up not liking her, trying to find someone else. 

Now I just need to wait another month for that appt.  They usually have the first appt between 8 & 10 weeks.  Since I was already scheduled to have a day off at nine weeks that is when the appt is set for.  So a month and a day before my appt.  I'm having a hard time making through this week.  I don't know how I'm going to make it a month. 

Marielle

1 comment:

  1. Wow, congratulations!!!! Don't know where I have been, but I'm just now catching up on all your exciting news!

    ReplyDelete